Friday, November 13, 2009

Home Alone

Home Alone

When I was five
in a winter storm
wind screaming
snow smacking windows

my mother knelt down
eyes bright blue
lips rose red

you must be a big girl
take care of your brother
I'll be right back

the closed door echoed

my brother immediately fell
into a paroxysm of wailing
dissolved on the floor

I tried reason, comfort
I tried to reach him
he howled like a wolf

alone in the frozen tundra
unable to make him stop
dissolved on the floor
I howled like a wolf

Diane Belleville

2 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine how hard this was being made soooo responsible as a 5-year-old. I understand why you would howl as a wolf. This poem really affects me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem has had a profound effect on me, Diane. Breaks my heart. Beautiful piece of work, but so so sad and visceral.

    ReplyDelete